Watercress & Endive Salad, Roasted Carrots, Crispy Farro, Tahini Dressing
2 bunches of watercress (washed and thick stems removed)
2 Belgian endives, split top to bottom, cut into 0.5cm ribbons
½ bunch orange carrots, scrubbed and split lengthways
3 tbsp carrot escabeche (recipe below)
5 tbsp tahini dressing (recipe below)
4 tbsp crispy farro (recipe below)
- Combine all ingredients, except for farro, in a large stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Toss gently to combine, using your hands to ensure the ingredients are well distributed throughout the mixture. Taste a small amount and adjust seasoning with salt if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to a serving dish or platter and garnish with crispy farro.
160g olive oil
325g shallot, sliced with the grain
1400g carrots, sliced thinly on mandoline
3 jalepeno peppers, cut into 6 pieces
300ml white wine
700ml white wine vinegar
1 rosemary sprig
1 small bunch fresh thyme
4 fresh bay leaves
- In a large rondeau, heat olive oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add herbs, carrots, shallots, and salt.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Add white wine, and white wine vinegar, bring mixture to a boil, and remove from heat and cool immediately in a shallow hotel pan.
65g white wine vinegar
10g sesame oil
55g canola oil
- Combine all ingredients in a container.
- Blend with immersion blender until homogenous.
- Taste and reserve.
- Agitate well before use.
- Bring water and salt to a simmer.
- Add farro and simmer on low for approximately 12 minutes, or until partially cooked.
- Drain farro well, and spread onto a parchment paper lined tray in a single layer.
- Dehydrate at room temperature overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400F, transfer tray of farro to middle rack of oven, and cook until crispy and golden brown. Check often!
- Transfer to a mixing bowl when cooled, season with olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.