We’re pleased to share the recipe for Nightingale’s delicious baked sweet potato with jalapeno, smoked bacon, creme fraiche, and scallions! This dish was on Nightingale’s debut menu three years ago and quickly became a longstanding crowd pleaser. Click below to get the full recipe!
Baked sweet potato, jalapeño, saddler’s smoked bacon, crème fraîche, and scallions
3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, scrubbed
9 tbsp charred scallion crème fraîche
1 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped finely
3 scallions, sliced thinly across the grain
8 slices of smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Poke sweet potatoes all over with a fork and rub the skin with salt and olive oil.
- Place sweet potatoes a parchment-lined tray and cook until tender.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place bacon slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined tray and place in the oven with sweet potatoes, and cook at the same time, bacon should only take about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove bacon and place on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Chop bacon and place on paper towels once again. Set aside until ready to use.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven, cool to room temperature, and slice in half lengthways.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add canola oil, and a small knob of butter. Melt butter until it foams, add a few pinches of salt to the pan.
- Add sweet potatoes flat side down. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 8 minutes, or until the surface of the potatoes are golden brown.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a serving dish, flat side up.
- Add crème fraîche to cover most of the surface of the sweet potato, followed by the scallion and jalapeno pepper.
- Finish with bacon and some flaky sea salt. Serve.
Charred Scallion Créme Fraîche
300g sour cream
10g parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
2g black pepper, toasted and ground
- Preheat a barbeque or grill pan to high heat.
- Grill Scallions until char marks appear. Cool immediately and chop finely.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Check seasoning, and reserve in the fridge until needed.
If you’re limited with ingredients at home, you can also try these alternative toppings.
- Brown butter, walnuts, parmesan
- Cilantro, jalapeno, avocado puree