Baked sweet potato, jalapeño, saddler’s smoked bacon, crème fraîche, and scallions
3 medium-sized sweet potatoes, scrubbed
9 tbsp charred scallion crème fraîche
1 jalepeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped finely
3 scallions, sliced thinly across the grain
8 slices of smoked bacon
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Poke sweet potatoes all over with a fork and rub the skin with salt and olive oil.
- Place sweet potatoes a parchment-lined tray and cook until tender.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes to an hour.
- Place bacon slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined tray and place in the oven with sweet potatoes, and cook at the same time, bacon should only take about 13-15 minutes.
- Remove bacon and place on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Chop bacon and place on paper towels once again. Set aside until ready to use.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven, cool to room temperature, and slice in half lengthways.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat, add canola oil, and a small knob of butter. Melt butter until it foams, add a few pinches of salt to the pan.
- Add sweet potatoes flat side down. Transfer to the oven and cook for approximately 8 minutes, or until the surface of the potatoes are golden brown.
- Transfer sweet potatoes to a serving dish, flat side up.
- Add crème fraîche to cover most of the surface of the sweet potato, followed by the scallion and jalapeno pepper.
- Finish with bacon and some flaky sea salt. Serve.
Charred Scallion Créme Fraîche
300g sour cream
10g parsley, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
2g black pepper, toasted and ground
- Preheat a barbeque or grill pan to high heat.
- Grill Scallions until char marks appear. Cool immediately and chop finely.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Check seasoning, and reserve in the fridge until needed.
If you’re limited with ingredients at home, you can also try these alternative toppings.
- Brown butter, walnuts, parmesan
- Cilantro, jalapeno, avocado puree