This is the chocolate and chocolate and more chocolate cookie that we serve at Bel. They are messy, gooey, bitter, sweet, and delicious.
Note: Always use good-quality chocolate in your cookies. For this recipe, we use Valrhona Guanaja 70%.
250g (2 cups) cake flour
80g (1 cup) cocoa powder
7g (2 tsp) salt
3.25g (1⁄2 tsp) baking soda
180mL (3⁄4 cup) water
5mL (1 tsp) vanilla extract
200g (3⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp) butter, softened
200g (1 cup) granulated sugar
30g (21⁄2 Tbsp) dark brown sugar
125g (1⁄2 cup plus 2 Tbsp) golden brown sugar
480g (3 cups) Valrhona Guanaja 70% dark chocolate pieces
- Preheat the oven to 165oC (325oF).
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
- Use a hand whisk to combine the eggs, water, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the
butter and the sugars at medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg mixture and blend to incorporate, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate pieces and mix just long enough to form a dough.
- Scoop the dough into 24 equal portions and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until just set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.